Sunday, August 28, 2005

more quotes


"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."

Thomas Jefferson
"Founding Father" and 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

When I read a qoute like that, I am both proud and furious. Proud that I am right about how and why the US was founded, that our founding fathers did indeed value reason and truth above dogma of any kind. And profoundly angry at how these "fellow Americans" of mine would like to twist our heritiage to become something else entirely. A "christian nation" my ass!

Which leads me to the following quote, from one of my other favorite quippers:


"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."

Friedrich Nietzsche
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

No comments: